Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Food Storage Update

So I'm still obsessed. Which is good. I am not always the best at seeing a project or goal through to the end, and I'm doing my best to make this an exception. :) I am trying to follow the counsel of Elder Robert D. Hales in the latest conference to be, with my husband, "provident providers."

"Our challenges, including those we create by our own decisions, are part of our test in mortality. We must practice the principles of provident living: Joyfully living within our means, being content with what we have, avoiding excessive debt and diligently saving and preparing for rainy day emergencies."

So far, I've:
  • put together fairly respectable 72-hour kits that I'm proud of.
  • I've created a space to hold my food storage. Actually, I've prepared 4 different spaces with shelves since no one space would fit it all, and organized my kitchen to make better use of the cupboard space.
  • I've started making powdered milk instead of buying it from the store. (And you know what? My kids are FINE with it! And I'm saving so much money! My favorite is Country Cream - I will even guzzle a glass of it and can hardly tell the difference. Really.)
  • I've learned about using freshly ground wheat flour to make the BEST 100% whole wheat bread. I call this recipe my holy grail - I've been looking for it for forever. You can find the recipe at http://everydayfoodstorage.net/2009/03/11/making-homemade-bread-the-food-storage-recipe-challenge/food-storage-recipes. In fact, this gal's whole blog is AMAZING, and I can't wait to get her book. (If you ever read this, HI CRYSTAL. You're my hero!)
  • I've learned to use wheat gluten to replace or extend meat. AMAZING! If I'm going to have all this wheat, it's going to be so good to know more than one way to use it. Dani Garrett in my stake is brilliant with this stuff. I want her to write a book. Love ya Dani!
  • I've purchased my water storage containers, and found a place for them in my garage (which was part of a long garage project that has helped us to finally park in a garage for the first time in many years).
  • I've almost finished my 3-month food storage list, and have begun purchasing items for it.
  • I've learned how to use coupons in conjunction with items on sale to get them for almost or completely free (!!!). That's been one of the most exciting things. So now I can stock up on food storage items without busting the budget. (I was actually paid $.20 to take 4 packs of gum out of the store last week!)
  • I've used my pressure cooker to cook dried black beans - much easier than remembering to soak them the night before. I've started doing some research on ways to reduce gas... .

And there's more, but that's all I can think of now. I don't write this to pat my own back, but to help myself see my accomplishments and keep me going. And I have to give big thanks to my friends at the http://funwithfoodstorage.net/ network. I AM their biggest fan (those are their words), and I just want to spread the excitement. They have been so helpful in getting all of this from my goal/wish list to real life. They've broken it down into small steps and basic concepts, with videos along the way that are SO helpful to this visual learner. I HIGHLY recommend checking them out. I know I have before, but I'm serious this time! :) Jodi and Julie at http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/ have just made a new ebook that has put all their checklists and recipes and other awesome-ness together in one place. I can't wait to get my hands on it. Check it out here at http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/2009/04/06/food-storage-binder-giveaway. I'm really excited to get my copy. And happy to finally be able to financially thank them for all their diligent and thorough hard work. :) (Hi Jodi and Jule. You are my other heroes!)

14 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

You. are. an. inspiration.

TRULY.

Tracy said...

Ugh, La. I almost rejected your comment. I thank you, but I really didn't want to come across "inspirational" or anything. Trust me - you should see my laundry... :) Do we get to see you guys this weekend? (I hope, I hope...)

Lauren in GA said...

No need to reject my comment...I just wanted you to know that I am really and truly inspired!

The laundry will always be there...torturing us...at least you have the food storage in great order.

Jon Dubyk said...

Teach me the ways of the force...I seriously am getting motivated reading this. I would love for you to take a few minutes this weekend and talk to you about this. You, my sister friend, rock!

Amy said...

nice! can you teach a course this weekend? cause i have no idea what to do with wheat... also, where do you get your coupons? i never have what i want...

Tracy said...

I'll be happy to talk about it with you guys this weekend. It'll just be sharing the stuff amazing people have told me. Pretty cool stuff. So, let's have the dads take the kids for an hour, and we'll have mommy time and discuss it. And maybe eat chocolate.

Jodi said...

Tracy,

You truly are our #1 fan and you are really DOING IT! Way to go! Isn't it amazing how fun it can actually be when we are all working on it together? Seriously ONE YEAR AGO I had zero food storage and I constantly ignored the promptings I was getting to get it done. It was so overwhelming and confusing to me. But now I'm having a blast. Thanks for being a part of that with us :) oh and p.s. you might need to teach us your bean tricks. Julie has tried to cook them in a pressure cooker 3 times and they turn out gross! hehe.

-Jodi

Melanie said...

tracy! yay! i know i need to do better. thanks for the pick-me-up. Love ya!

Lauren in GA said...

Does this Blue Bird look angry to you?

Love you!!!

Tracy said...

Lauren, I think you're the angry one, but I do love you.

Lauren in GA said...

I am not angry...I am just cold. Why would you see anger? Perhaps YOU have the problem...heh, heh, heh...

LOVE YOU!

Lauren in GA said...

I am going to quit now...I am totally pressing my luck...knowing your readership ;)

Love ya!

Tracy said...

La, just get it all out. Hang my readership. Chips fall where they may. ;) Have a good one.

Tracy said...

Ditto Amy. Let's do it again.