Friday, December 12, 2008

I want Christmas

It's the 12th of December. Nowhere near close enough to the 25th. Or even the 24th. It isn't snowing. It's just not Christmas-y enough for me right now. Just life as usual. Blah.

I don't know how my kids feel about it. I am realizing that it's probably a grown-up thing that causes Christmas not to feel as much like Christmas as I've come to expect. I wonder if my kids are sugar plum dreaming every night. If they have a little twinkle in their eyes in anticipation of the magic that I can hopefully help to provide them. It's a lot of pressure to create this magic. I know that I'm in charge of creating the memories and nostalgia that they will take comfort in and share with their families in the many years to come. And that's pressure. You know?

Later that same day... (okay, 3 minutes later).

I just asked Leah if she's excited for Christmas. She said, "Yeah! SO excited." "What are you excited about?" "Getting presents!" Okay, so she's getting at least part of the spirit. :) I just remembered in that conversation with her that in years past, I've had the kids do little chores to earn money so they can buy dollar store presents for the family. Forgot to do that this year - I know what we get to do today! Hopefully that'll help it feel more Christmas-y. And I'll play Christmas music while we clean the house! Wow, it's going to be so great!

See how great blogging can be? I just figured out how to solve the problem I was writing about! Maybe I should do it more often.

3 comments:

Lauren in GA said...

Glad you solved the problem! It is so true...it is hard to create the magic. Kids sure help the magic come alive for me, though.

Melanie said...

Are those Utah mountains, you cheater dog? If they are, I'm so proud of you for hailing back to your heritage. =)

Sounds like you're going to do great to bring the Christmas spirit. I love it when they sacrifice something and get to feel that special feeling when the person opens the gift they gave, even if they're jealous. You can't force it, but it comes. Merry Christmas!

Tracy said...

Yeah, it's Timp. I love Timp with snow on it. That photo was actually taken by Jodie's wedding photographer. I have tried to find a picture of snow-topped Timp in the pink or orange glow of sunset. Have you ever seen it like that? AMAZING!!!